The torrential rain leaked through the old roof. This apparently was the final straw. Lock stock and barrel the building was abandoned for the partially completed house on the hill. The stage begins here.
A couple of decades passed and parts of said house were never completed. There were, perhaps, good intentions but neither the money nor the time ever showed up at the same time.
The fall I was 12 I picked up the paint brush to make the bedroom my own. As the youngest I had shared the room until that summer. I still recall the joy at being allowed to pick out my own paint colour. My dad taught me how to cut in and how to apply paint by roller. It was a skill that I would hone over the years.
Life on a farm meant that, even for kids, there was work to do in the summer. Old enough to use the front end loader and responsible enough to paint the barn was how I spent some of the summer I was 15.
The summer between first and second year nursing found me painting the local curling rink for a summer job. We were too fast and the job didn’t last long enough. What I did for the rest of the summer was an education and an entirely different post! So before I digress I will “paint” myself back into this story.
Lack of experience did not stop us from commencing our own house build. I knew how to paint and he had basic carpentry skills. Together we had a vision of what we wanted in a house. There was a steep learning curve but we had drive and determination. The “bonus” of growing up in an unfinished house meant that was not going to happen to the one I owned.
That was a really good house and it lasted for a long time for us. The paint trays saw a lot of use. A LOT of use. Our neighbors joked that I always had a paint brush in my hand. It went from an 80’s to a 90’s to a 2000’s style ranch. I tried my hand at many painting techniques.
Enter our current abode. It’s been a LONG project. Significantly over the allocated time frame we had originally anticipated. Cost over runs weren’t that high which is great but we’ve put a crazy amount of blood, sweat and tears into it. Well maybe not that many tears but certainly some of the first two. The interior was very challenging from a painting perspective with plaster walls and original oil base coats. An entire summer and some extra hands were required to get the walls looking perfect. Heck we even created our own colour and technique for the parlor, aka the office. Then the exterior was four summers of outdoor painting once we’d done the hard work of removing vinyl siding, cedar siding, the shiplap and then insulating put back on the shiplap and then new cedar siding. there was lots of skilled painting required with the three colours that we have in the house. Plus the restoration of old wood frames and sills.
Which brings me to current update. For me it’s very important to start and finish projects. So… that’s what I/we did. In less than one week we redid the salvaged dining room wall unit (the original post about it can be found at One Man’s Junk. I spent a few long days outside scrapping and using chemicals to remove decades of paint layers. Then on to sanding and Ron’s repair work. It needed sides created and one little trim piece repaired. Then stain, paint and several coats of clear coat. It was when I was putting in the green on the small vertical posts that I got to thinking about my “painting career”.
I’ve been painting for 49 years. That seems quite crazy when put into a number like that. I can’t even guess how many rooms I’ve painted! I’ve painted for family and friends, I’ve painted for cash and I’ve painted for the love of it. Along the way I’ve so learnt a thing or two about refinishing old wood/furniture as well. I’m happy to have this piece behind me as it was a challenging job.