Well I’m just going to post a bunch of pictures and a bit of dialogue underneath each one. It feels great to have finally gotten this project “off the ground” so to speak. The scaffolding seemed to take forever to build and then the weekend was gone. The next weekend came and went with some work being completed but mostly it was scaffold work and demo work. The following weekend we made serious progress but I’m pretty sure we are behind my schedule!! I know – only 2 people – only on weekends – Rome wasn’t built in a day – yata yata yata!!
Off with the “new” old siding (good bye and good riddance to ugly white vinyl) and down to the old siding (talk about dust!) . Note the interesting design on it – 1 long/2 short. We didn’t know this when we started the garage project and so won’t be able to replicate it (not enough shingles ordered).
Off with the tar paper and the ship lap (carefully though as it goes back up).Then several hours are spent vacuuming up the 1980’s insulation that was blown into the walls which is why we must remove the ship lap boards – stuff is dense and heavy and in all cavities. On with the spray foam insulation (proper gear and protection for windows is very necessary as we learned last year).
Back goes the ship lap boards (progress – yes it is!!) and then up with the Typar paper and the flashing. On this particular gable a new row of shingles for below the flashing was also required.
The trim boards had to come down and be sanded and fixed as necessary, primed and repositioned. The soffit was all scrapped, sanded, primed and repainted. Any missing or broken boards were replaced but I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. There was an extra trim board between the soffit and the siding and so there was a small debate about what color this piece should be. The final vote when to the person yielding the paint brush and so it is yellow (although none of the colors are showing up well in this picture).
It requires a second coat of paint and a trim board to go up but this section is almost complete. It has taken significantly longer than I had anticipated – part of the problem is weather related (it seems to rain a lot on weekends) and part is only a crew of two. We’ve learned a bit with this one so perhaps the next ones will go faster. We do have quite a bit of time booked off this summer to stay at home and work on the project so perhaps we’ll make great strides in the near future.
I’ve been thinking about a couple of blog entries that won’t quite be “normal” construction related ones but somethings I think about while waiting for the next board to be ready to go up. Stay tuned – perhaps it won’t take me a month of Sunday’s to get them up!! Or perhaps it will. And as always to my faithful few followers who leave comments – thanks so much. It’s nice to know that I’m not just talking to myself.
The Analogy –… on Masonry Medicine bernielynne on Window Wall Brenda Bacon on Window Wall Window Wall –… on Window Wall bernielynne on One Man’s Junk
Blogs I Follow
- Follow 1918 Eatons Eager on WordPress.com
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.
Equipoise Life Blog: Equipoise Life